30 July 2013, Club Hilly 18 P451/18
(un)Officially the most rewarding TT course in the South District the CC Weymouth 18 Hilly takes and gives in equal measure. 7 miles of gradually climbing 600ft is rewarded by losing all of that height with the next mile. Those who are brave enough to hang on to the Tri bars will see speeds in excess of 50mph. However don't be fooled as the hardest bit is yet to come. The climb of Lyon's Gate may only be 1.5 miles averaging 4.3% but the lower slopes suffer a bone shaking road surface sapping the legs of all energy leading on to the 8.4% last half mile. Once over the top though you are rewarded with flying a near constant gentle downhill for 8 miles all the way to the finish line, watching your average speed increase the whole way down you almost don't want the end to come.
The challenge of, and reward for, riding this course draws a few visitors too, like Dave Wood from Wyre Forrest who has been returning for a number of years determined to improve his times, which he did again this year going under 50 minutes for the first time.
On the night it was Stuart McPhail though who continued his impressive conversion to full on 'Tester' taking the win in 46:47, a great time for his first ride on this course. Steve Pink shaved a chunk off of his course best but couldn't quite match the young pretender coming in second with 46:56 and David Butt increased his stranglehold on the Vets points competition taking third in 47:48.
For any of you who are up for a different kind of TT the final running of this course for 2013 is on Saturday 21 September at 9:30, pop it in your diary and we will see you all there!
1. Stuart McPhail CC Weymouth 0:46:47
2. Steven Pink CC Weymouth 0:46:56
3. David Butt CC Weymouth 0:47:48
4. Kevin Holloway VC10 0:48:42
5. Dave Wood Wyre Forrest 0:49:54
6. Matt Merritt CC Weymouth 0:51:50
7. Chris Perham Day member 0:51:59
8. Chris Mullett Gillingham Wheelers 0:53:25
9. Julian Thacker VC St Raphael 0:53:32
10. Andrew Jackson CC Weymouth 0:54:20
11. Steve Trigwell CC Weymouth 0:56:25
12. Philip Clive CC Weymouth 0:59:04
13. Stuart Carrington CC Weymouth 1:04:13
14. Oliver Carrington CC Weymouth 1:06:13
Thanks to Steve Pink